Fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet. So, how do we go about keeping our fresh produce safe to eat?
Here are some simple tips for washing produce:
- Use a clean pair of scissors or knife to open your bags of produce
- Fruit and vegetable peels may carry bacteria that can spread during peeling, cutting, or eating. Wash all your fresh fruits and vegetables with cold tap water immediately before eating. This applies to all fruits and vegetables like bananas and oranges; even your pre-washed fruits and vegetables.
- Scrub your firm fruits and vegetables with a produce brush or produce rag to clean them.
- Remove and discard the outer leaves on lettuce.
- After washing place your produce into a clean container, not back into the original bag.
These are just a few tips for washing produce that will keep all your fruits and veggies safe to eat.
image courtesy of muammerokumus/flickr